Kidney stones, also known as urinary calculi, urinary tract stone disease, renal calculi, nephrolithiasis, ureterolithiasis and urolithiasis, depending upon their location, are one of the most painful and common disorders of the urinary tract. A recent survey shows that men are more likely to be affected by kidney stones as compared to women.
Kidney stones are small, solid crystals that develop when salts or minerals in urine start becoming solid inside the kidneys. The tiny crystals leave the body while urinating without any pain or harm. However, they can build up inside the kidney into larger sized stones, and when these large kidney stones move out of the kidney and pass through the tubes that carry urine from kidney to bladder, they cause excruciating pain. The worst thing is while passing if it gets stuck to ureter, it will cause infections that may lead to permanent kidney damage.
Symptoms: The symptoms of kidney stones include smelly urine, blood in urine (also known as haematuria), Sharp, cramping pain in the back and on the sides in the area of kidney or in the lower abdomen (also known as renal colic), frequent urination or burning sensation during urination, fever and chills, besides nausea and vomiting.
Home Remedies for kidney stones:
Stones those are lesser than 2 mm in size, usually pass out spontaneously, without any complications during urination.
Following home remedies also help in flushing out small sized kidney stones naturally while urinating.
- Dried kidney beans or French beans are known to be quite effective in getting rid of small sized kidney stones. Grind the beans into a coarse powder and boil it in 4 litre of water on low flame, continuously for six hours. Strain the liquid twice through fine muslin and let it cool for seven to eight hours. A glass of this decoction should be given to the patient every two hours throughout the day. It can be consumed several times a week till one gets complete relief.
- Taking one teaspoon each of basil leaf juice and honey mixed together, daily for six to eight weeks also helps in getting rid of small sized kidney stones.
- Daily intake of 100 – 200 mg of vitamin B6 or pyridoxine has shown to be quite effective in getting permanent cure from kidney stones.
- Pomegranate seeds are also quite effective in getting rid of small sized kidney stones. They can be ground into fine paste, and are more effective if the paste is given along with a cup of soup of horse gram.
- Pashanbhed (Bergenia ligulata), an Ayurvedic herb, which literally means “destroyer of stones”, is a very effective herb – useful in dissolving chronic kidney stones.
- Nettle is another herb which helps to keep tiny crystals from forming into stone. It even helps to wash away the bacteria in case there is any infection in urinary tract as a result of kidney stones. Drinking 2-3 cups of nettle leaf decoction every day helps to prevent formation of kidney stones. To prepare the decoction, mix 1-2 tablespoon of dried nettle leaf with 1 cup of hot water and steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Celery is another effective home remedy for kidney stones. It can be consumed in form of celery soup or it can be added to green salad.
- Barley water rejuvenates the kidneys and helps in flushing out kidney stones. To make it, add half a cup of whole barley to five cups of water. Add one-quarter of a cinnamon stick and some grated ginger, and simmer for twenty minutes; then, after cooling, strain, add fresh lemon juice for extra flavour, and drink 2-3 times a day.
- Drinking a cup of tea containing dandelion leaf, parsley leaf, bearberry leaf, and corn silk is also very helpful.
- Dandelion root also helps in dissolving both kidney and gall bladder stones.
- Leaf of Uva ursi, a small perennial evergreen shrub, is also useful for kidney stones and other disorders of kidneys.
- Taking a magnesium supplement of 200-400 mg per day may also help in preventing formation of kidney stones.
In case of severe pain, consult your physician at the earliest. Majority of stones which are greater than 4 mm will require surgical intervention. These home remedies work best in the early stages, when the stones are very small in size.
Disclaimer: This article is only for purpose of information. It does not intend to diagnose, cure or treat any disease; and is not a substitute for medical advice of your doctor.